Re: German notation

From: Christian
Subject: Re: German notation
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 19:03:02 +0100

As a trombone player myself: yes, bass clef in anything else than concert pitch is weird... to us. But it's pretty common with bass clarinet (bass clef in b/flat or in a) and low horn parts (bass clef in f).

Best regards,
Christian

Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk> schrieb am So., 29. Jän. 2023, 18:21:
On 29/01/2023 10:03, Mark Knoop wrote:
> I think Wim may be referring to the various standards of transposing the
> B-flat bass clarinet.
>
> - either in bass clef a major 2nd higher than sounding (as in this
>    Strauss excerpt)

IME (I'm a trombone player) this is extremely unusual. I've met maybe
two pieces (could have been the same one twice) in bass clef Bb. That's
in 50 years of playing ... Even worse, it was without key signature (ie
all parts had accidentals only) and it didn't say it was transposed...

> - or in treble clef a major 9th higher than sounding (which is what he
>    wants)

This is every transposed piece I've ever seen (with the above exception).

Dunno if Bass Clarinet is the same as Trombone (and maybe this is more
common in Orchestral parts), but if I hit a transposed part like that
it'd be a nightmare ...

Cheers,
Wol