Re: [Frescobaldi] ANN: Frescobaldi 3.3.0

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: [Frescobaldi] ANN: Frescobaldi 3.3.0
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 10:02:15 +1000

Sure you can do that. For me, I welcome the flatpak packaging. Despite being a very experienced UNIX user forever, I often find difficulties arise with all the prerequisites required to be installed, especially the Qt aspects, which often mess up. Flatpak frees one from these issues.

I understand exactly why you don't like flatpak and the particular type of bloat it introduces. And also, Canonical have recently forced it off Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavours in favour of snap, which I personally think is much worse. But it's the way the world is going as the big plus is that it makes it much simpler for developers to support many more linux distros without burning needless energy. I have decided to roll over go with the flow and just install flatpak and enjoy the convenience, if not the bloat/etc.

Just my view. I imagine over time Wilbert and the Frescobaldi developers will release exclusively with flatpak. Although I don't know their plans, that may well happen, making it harder to do a manually crafted install.

Andrew