vertically center rests in polyphonic voices

From: Jin Choi
Subject: vertically center rests in polyphonic voices
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 20:27:39 -0400

I’m transcribing some piano music where it is helpful to use \voiceOne and
\voiceTwo for some extended polyphonic sections. When I come across shared
rests, I’ve been putting in rests in one voice and invisible rests in the other
voice. But rests in voices are vertically offset from the center depending on
which voice is in use:

\version "2.24.1"

upper = \relative c'' {
  \new Voice {
    \voiceOne c4 r4 c4 r4
  }
  \new Voice {
    \voiceTwo c4 r4 c4 r4
\new Staff = "upper" \upper

I can fix that by exiting the voice context and going to \oneVoice for the
rests, but is there an easier way just to have the rest vertically centered?