Re: [Linphone-developers] Re: Mesuring speech quality with linphone

From: Eduardo Bezerra
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Re: Mesuring speech quality with linphone
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:06:45 -0400

Hi,

2005/9/14, Clement Chen <address@hidden>:
> Hi, Eduardo,
>     I had some tests and here are my comments FYI:
>  - From the view of testing, I suggest to add commands like "qos_mon start",
> "qos_stop stop", or so to let the qos logging more flexible to measure only
> part of a conversation instead of the whole conversation. The reason is that
> sometimes, a phone may reach AutoAttendent or IVR first, and then enter the
> main conversation...

Yes, I agree with you. Could be very interesting logging only some parts
of the call. But you should be careful with this pieces of the call.
For example,
if you have a call with 4 minutes of duration and you log only the second
and the last minute, you cannot join the two logs to have just one MOS
pontuation.
You can have one MOS pontuation for each log.

>  - If the other party enabled VAD (let's say in a linphone-to-hard_phone
> case), the measured score would get worse. I know that results from this
> model which considers majorly packet loss and packet delay. Is there any way
> to deal with such scenarios to exclude the VAD periods?

The model implemented on the tools that I suggested you also considers the
codec behaviour. If the codec has VAD, the model will decrease the R factor
based on some tabled values (ITU-T G.113).