Re: [Linphone-developers] gstreamer on linphone

From: Jeffrey C. Ollie
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] gstreamer on linphone
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:37:24 -0500

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 14:11 +0200, Simon Morlat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You just need to rewrite completely files
> mediastreamer2/src/videoenc.c
> mediastreamer2/src/videodec.c
> mediastreamer2/src/sizeconv.c
> mediastreamer2/src/pixconv.c
>
> I don't see the interest of doing that since gstreamer uses ffmpeg anyway, as
> far as I know.

There are ffmpeg plugins for GStreamer, but GStreamer has many many
other plugins some of which would be useful, others not.

However, the list of plugins that are available in GStreamer isn't the
point - it's the fact that codecs are implemented as plugins at all...
That means that the GStreamer plugins can be (and are) separated into
different packages by their legal status.  The core GStreamer libraries
and plugins can be packaged into distributions like Fedora that have
strict requirements that all source code have open source licenses and
are not known to be encumbered by patents.  Unfortunately, many of the
most interesting audio and video codecs are encumbered by patents.
Since GStreamer is a plugin-based system, plugins that implement
patent-encumbered codecs can be packaged separately.

ffmpeg implements an astonishing array of codecs, unfortunately the
developers didn't implement the library in a way that allow separately
packaging the patent and non-patent encumbered codecs.

This is the reason that the linphone packages in Fedora are not compiled
to support video.

All that said, porting linphone to GStreamer (or to any other multimedia
framework) is a non-trivial task so I personally wouldn't expect any of
the linphone developers to take the task on.

Jeff