Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone and JACK

From: Nicolai Lissner
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone and JACK
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:16:42 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 13:10:08 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> Simon Morlat <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Maybe I'll make a pulseaudio plugin for linphone someday.
>
> Please also don't forget JACK. Pulseaudio is no replacement for JACK
> and anyone who claims otherwise is in denial.

Hi Esben,
you can make pulseaudio to input/output to JACK. Nobody claims
pulseaudio could replace JACK, but actually it _supplements_ JACK
very well. It is not very known pulse can use jackd, but it is
very well implemented. Just try it - it is worth to set up.

The key is:

load-module module-jack-sink
load-module module-jack-source
set-default-sink jack_out
set-default-source jack_in

in your default.pa

It works as a charme. In combination with

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

in /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc
your alsa-applications are now usable via jackd. And unlike the
alsa-jack-plugin this configuration works very well with any
alsa-application I tried, including the applications that didn't
work with the alsa-jack-plugin.
You could even setup more complex configuration with more jack-ports and
use specific applications binded to specific jack-ports, but as
basic start the above works very well.

best wishes,
Nicolai