Re: [Linphone-developers] Using oRTP to send supplemental data besides t

From: Steve Strobel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Using oRTP to send supplemental data besides the audio
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:03:25 -0700

Vadim Lebedev <address@hidden> wrote:

I mean encode nibble data.

Yuck.  Like you said, usable for at most a few bytes of data.

If I used just the one RTP session and sent some packets with the G. 711u payload type and other packets as a different (maybe non-audio)
type, would a standard RTP endpoint ignore the non-audio packets and
continue to process the G.711u packets, or would it puke on the non- audio packets?

There is no such thing as standard RTP endpoint.
There are RTP stacks which will ignore unknown payloads,
but there are others which will die horrible death on unknown payload.

OK, scratch that idea.

I understand that RTP packets sent via UDP will not be resent if
lost.  I can live with that.  Are you suggesting, though, that
sending the data as DTMF would be any different?

well oRTP at least retransmit  DTMF signals several times so that the
chances of loss are minimized.

I didn't know that.  Good info.

Btw, if you setup a sparet oRtp session for your data using PCM as
payload you should be ewavre that first dozen of packet risk to not to
be delivered.
Rtp need some initial amount of packets to be sure that  incoming data
constitute a valid RTP stream

Yuck again.

Any idea if the method used to send RTCP packets could be used to send extra data without confusing things?

I don't understand FMTP at all.  Any idea if it might be useful?

Thanks
Vadim

Thanks for your help,
Steve