[Linphone-developers] mediastreamer stutter for dropped UDP packets

From: Craig McQueen
Subject: [Linphone-developers] mediastreamer stutter for dropped UDP packets
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 01:45:15 +0000

I'm using mediastreamer v2.8.2 with a voice application in a Wi-Fi network. It's working fairly well in nominal operation, however...

When the received Wi-Fi signal is weak so that incoming packets are going missing, we hear a "stuttering" which sounds as though the last received packet may be being repeated over and over again, for several seconds. I would rather that it doesn't repeat the last packet indefinitely, which sounds bad, but just goes silent instead.

I found this:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/linphone-users/2011-12/msg00080.html

which made me think perhaps using a zero value for the jitt_comp parameter of audio_stream_start_with_sndcards() could cause this behaviour. And using a non-zero value should prevent such endless repeating of the last received packet. So I tried values of 20 and 200 for the jitt_comp parameter. But that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there some way to control the way mediastreamer behaves regarding missing UDP packets?

Also, is there some way to get status on missing packets?

At first I thought it was entirely a mediastreamer function. But now I think the stutter is caused by the ALSA driver when the application (mediastreamer/oRTP in this case) is not writing new audio data into the ALSA audio buffer.

Thanks,
Craig McQueen