Re: [Linphone-developers] Why does Opus sound so bad on mobile

From: Steve Strobel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Why does Opus sound so bad on mobile
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 09:42:31 -0600

Opus supports a very wide range of bit rates.  Maybe the Linphone implementations are using a much lower bit rate than your lab device.

Steve

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Tom Hartnett <address@hidden> wrote:
Greetings,
I've run some audio quality experiments and I'd appreciate some input.  These cuts are best listened via headphones. All cuts are encoded at 64Kb/s mono. Audio was fed into phones via headset port.
Here's a reference of the source I used:
http://54.201.208.1/opustests/reference.mp3

I then ran a test on Android via a G.722 (non Linphone) app:( The Linphone G.722 strangely samples at 8KHz so was unusable)
http://54.201.208.1/opustests/G.722android.mp3

as you can hear, not perfect, but normal bandwidth for G.722

I then ran LinPhone Opus on the same phone:
http://54.201.208.1/opustests/opusandroid.mp3

Many codec artifacts are present, inferior to G.722. I should note that echo canceler was off.

I moved to iPhone and ran a G.722 app
http://54.201.208.1/opustests/G.722iphone.mp3

not bad

Then to iPhone/LinPhone/Opus
http://54.201.208.1/opustests/iphoneopus.mp3

Not artifact heavy, but all low frequencies have been cut. Very tinny sound.

Finally, for reference, I did an encode/decode pass on one of our lab devices that uses Opus (no Linphone)
http://54.201.208.1/opustests/comrexopuslb.mp3

We're trying to recommend Linphone mobile for broadcast purposes but with an inferior Opus implementation that's difficult. Any thoughts?