[Linphone-developers] Linphone 3.6.1 problems

From: Bill
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Linphone 3.6.1 problems
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 14:17:21 -0400

Hello,

I'm new to Linphone (and to SIP in general) and am running v3.6.1 on Ubuntu 14.04, using the Unity desktop. In general Linphone is working well, but I've run into a couple of problems and wanted to report them.

First off, the on-again-off-again Quit menu is missing from my version. Linphone 3.5.2 on Ubuntu 12.10 had a Quit, but it went missing on Ubuntu 13.10 and on my present version. This leaves no apparent way to shut down the app, so I've had to resort to sending a kill signal to the process. I searched through the mailing list archives and saw some discussion of Quit from some years back, but not more recently. Maybe it's fixed on some platforms, but not on Ubuntu.

If there's some reason that it's difficult to add Quit as a menu option (??), I'd suggest making closing the main window equivalent to quitting the app, plus adding a keyboard shortcut for Quit (e.g. CTRL-Q for Ubuntu). Then maybe you could add a menu option called "Gnome SNAFU Get Me Outta Here" as a placeholder for when Quit is allowed in the menu again.

The second problem is that Linphone periodically gets in a state where it is jamming 1000s of error messages like this:

error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh
error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh
error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh
error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh
error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh
error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh
error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh
error: eXosip: could not send subscribe for refresh

These come fast enough to overflow the debug window buffer in less than a second, so whatever triggered the message has scrolled off. Linphone continues to operate normally after this happens, but there doesn't seem to be any way to clear the error state. With Linphone running the error loop, it uses 10-15% of the CPU on my laptop. This has happened on both versions 3.5.2 and 3.6.1.

This second problem may be associated with one my VOIP provider (CallCentric), which suggested using a short 60 second timeout for registrations. But whatever the cause of the problem, it doesn't seem very useful for a thread to be looping with the error message.

Thanks,
Bill