[Linphone-developers] Combining linphone Python wrapper and APL v2 libra

From: Andreas Eckleder
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Combining linphone Python wrapper and APL v2 libraries
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:01:24 +0000

Hi there,

Sorry for making my first post to this list be about licensing issues but I'm about to release a few pieces of code I've written that use the linphone Python wrapper on a Raspberry Pi. To comply with the linphone license, I'll be releasing my code under GPL v2. So far, that's working as intended.

However, for future versions of the software I've been thinking about building a few features that might need / want to make use of certain Python modules, many of which seem to be using Apache License v2.
However, the FSF is pretty clear that they consider the APL v2 to be incompatible with GPL v2 (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#apache2).

My question to you is this: Is this the end of the story? Have there been considerations to "upgrade" the linphone license to GPL v3 (to which the APL v2 is compatible)? Or is there any other kind of exception that I'm not aware of?

Appreciate your input,

Andreas