Re: [Linphone-developers] Problem with glibc under Centos

From: Peio Rigaux
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Problem with glibc under Centos
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:02:33 +0200

Hello.

This is a limitation of Appimage. Even tho it allow us to support multiple GNU/Linux distributions, we always need a recent version of the Glibc...

Centos 7 is well suited for servers, but it has a too long update cycle for Linphone as a desktop app. In order to keep the codebase simple as a small team, we can't maintain a such huge gap in glibcxx versions.

Besides, we have a quick development cycle on Linphone. We only maintain the last stable release of Linphone, so there is no maintained version that would run glibcxx 2.17.

The older releases of Linphone-desktop are not available anymore on our website, as we have done so many changes between 3.12 and 4.x that using them with the actual servers would cause many bugs.

You may find out binaries on the web or compile the old sources yourself, but you have been warned.

Depending of your needs, you may either migrate on Centos Stream, Rocky Linux or the latest Fedora (best choice of the list for desktops in my opinion).

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior DevOps Engineer
Linphone.org