linphone-users

Re: [Linphone-users] ICE, defaults

From: Peio Rigaux
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] ICE, defaults
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 18:19:19 +0200

Hello Greg.
I took some time to gather information.

First of all, I see that you are really active on our mailing lists, and your help is very valuable, thanks.

When we activate a sip.linphone.org account with the assistant, ICE is always on, and the STUN server is configured to stun.linphone.org

The UI is misleading in the settings view of Linphone Desktop, because the default params are overwritten by the account params ("enable ICE" in the network settings view is overwritten by the value in "sip accounts" > "edit" > "NAT".

I'm thinking about making the UI clearer, and we working on it step after step when we have enough time (apart from mailing list responses, and daily work).

So, ICE and STUN are enabled and set for sip.linphone.org accounts, but not for others providers by default, because most of PSTN gateways doesn't understand ICE, and we do not have any clue about their eventual TURN or STUN server.

I think that it would be nice to use a TURN server if we can't transfer media normally. Unfortunately, stun.linphone.org is only a STUN server now.

We are thinking about setting up an official TURN server for sip.linphone.org, because the media-relay done by Flexisip proxy isn't really a standard.
It has some limitations which are leading to random bugs when clients have a double IPv4/IPv6 connectivity.

You will be notified by a newsletter on the website if we eventually set it up.

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org