lmi

Re: [lmi] -g in LDFLAGS?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] -g in LDFLAGS?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:58:29 +0000

On 2005-8-4 22:53 UTC, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  I might be missing something but I don't see -g in LDFLAGS by default
> which is inconsistent with having it in C[XX]FLAGS. Because of missing
> -g the linked executables don't contain debug info even though it's present
> in the obejct files.

The online manual for 'ld' says

http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/manual/ld-2.9.1/html_chapter/ld_2.html#SEC3
| -g
|     Ignored. Provided for compatibility with other tools.

but that's dated 1994.

Using the last full MinGW release:

C:/usr/bin[0]$/MinGW/bin/ld --version
GNU ld version 2.15.91 20040904
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
C:/usr/bin[0]$/MinGW/bin/ld --help
Usage: \MinGW\bin\ld.EXE [options] file...
[...]
  -g                          Ignored

Are you thinking of one of the other compilers wx supports?
IIRC, borland requires both a '-v' compiler flag and a '/v'
linker flag to build a debuggable application.