lmi

Re: [lmi] wxApp::ProcessIdle safe to use even though undocumented?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] wxApp::ProcessIdle safe to use even though undocumented?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:16:46 +0200

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:50:17 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Vadim--I'm using
GC>   wxTheApp->ProcessIdle();
GC> in my (encouraging) experiments with automated GUI unit testing.
GC> Is it unsafe to rely on that, because it's not part of the user
GC> interface documented in the manual? It's in the change log
GC>   http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.5.0p1/changes-2.5.0.txt
GC> and discussed on the mailing list
GC>   http://lists.wxwidgets.org/archive/wx-dev/msg34886.html
GC> but still I'm apprehensive about using an undocumented feature.

 It's true that this function is not part of wxApp public API and so is
subject to change but it's also true that you need to call it if you don't
use the normal event loop as many important things are done in idle time.

 The only other solution which I see is to use a specialized wxEventLoop
deriving from wxEventLoopManual (this is in wx/evtloop.h but it's only in
2.7 and only for wxMSW and wxMac currently, i.e. not wxGTK). So this risks
to be quite complicated too.

 All in all I think you should just continue using ProcessIdle() for now,
until we come up with some better API for this in wx.

 Regards,
VZ