lmi

Re: [lmi] Managing multiple wx builds

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Managing multiple wx builds
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 03:11:12 +0200

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:48:59 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> What's the best way to set up distinct, multiple builds of identical
GC> wx sources?

 My personal solution is to just never install wx at all. It might have its
drawbacks but when you have to deal with half a dozen of different builds
as I regularly do, it's by far the simplest one. And with any wx-config
based makefile it's alsmot completely transparent: just define WX_CONFIG
make variable to point to the wx-config in the build tree you want to use
for this build and that's all.

GC> That's almost ideal, but not quite. I'd like to install everything to
GC> the same directory, with distinct names where needed.

 I don't think this is possible. You can install different ports (wxGTK and
wxX11 and wxMotif under Unix or wxMSW and wxUniv/MSW under Windows) in the
same location. And you can also install debug and non-debug and Unicode and
non-Unicode versions of the same port. But not 2 otherwise identical
versions of the same one.

 Please notice that if you don't install at all you don't have the headers
duplication neither.

GC> Specifying 'VENDOR=' when configuring gives a unique name to the dll
GC>
GC>   /usr2/local/lib/wxmsw270d_gcc_gcc345.dll

 Yes, this is what VENDOR is for: when you distribute wx DLLs with your
application it makes sense to indicate that they're specific to your
program and so call them wxmsw270_lmi.dll. But it was not meant to be used
during development and so doesn't apply to the header nor wx-config names.

GC> How much of this is possible with 'config' options that I haven't
GC> understood yet?

 I think it might be possible to what you need using --with-flavour wx
configure option. Then you should be able to distinguish between different
installed builds in "wx-config --list" output by their "flavour". But I
never used this myself yet so I'm not 100% sure. From my personal
experience I can just repeat the recommendation to not install it at all.

 Regards,
VZ