lmi

Re: [lmi] Really long string in messagebox [Was: Running external progra

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Really long string in messagebox [Was: Running external programs like 'fop' from lmi]
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:29:40 +0000

On 2007-06-19 15:35Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:58:00 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

I withdraw this idea:

> GC> a "mail this message to the maintainer" button
[...]
>  This is indeed a rather complicated subject. We discussed recently
> integrating facilities for sending email into wx and decided against it
> simply because it is too difficult, especially nowadays when you often
> can't just use SMTP directly because [...]

I haven't worked on this sort of thing since SMTP was the
state of the art. I naively thought it might still be easy.

>  A possible alternative to using email is to upload the bug reports to a
> web server via HTTP. All users usually have access to the Web so there
> shouldn't be any problems with firewalls.

At least in the US, it's typical for corporations to block
things you might not suspect, e.g., gmail.

>  So the only thing which we can *easily* do -- and which should be done --
> is to allow to the program to add custom buttons to this generic message
> box to customize or augment the default behaviour.

Yes, so this tracker item
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?7018
remains valid, and email support will not be added to it.