lmi

Re: [lmi] Entity rsquo

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Entity rsquo
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:56:14 +0000

On 2007-06-28 11:56Z, Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:
> The file individual_private_placement.xsl contains a non-ASCII symbol
> <'> which corresponds to the following entity:
> &rsquo;
> &#8217;
> The context is (individual_private_placement.xsl):
> | include the contract&rsquo;s mortality and

Copied from a pdf file generated with that stylesheet:

  the Contract's cash values [typewriter apostrophe]
  the contract’s mortality   [typesetting apostrophe]

I believe this is an artifact of some wayward tool's
autocorrection "feature". It's present in the original copy of
this file from 2005-01.

> This symbol belongs to a quotation pair and should be used with the
> matching &lsquo; symbol.

It's the usual encoding for a typesetting apostrophe:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Computers_and_Unicode

[A little lower on that page we learn how to defeat the ms 'word'
autocorrection "feature":

| type two apostrophes (sometimes using a space as well, as required),
| and then simply delete the first.

but of course we should just avoid broken tools.]

> IMO in this particular case the apostrophe symbol is more appropriate
> (more consistent with other documents):
> &apos;
> &#39;
> or simply <'> (the usual apostrophe which is in ASCII)
>
> Could you please confirm that the usage of &rsquo; is unintentional
> and that I can simply replace it by an apostrophe.

Yes, please do replace it.

Consistency is what's most important. We use typewriter apostrophe
everywhere else AFAICT.

What would be the right way to detect all problems of this variety,
everywhere? Here's my naive attempt:

/cygdrive/c/lmi/src/lmi[0]$<individual_private_placement.xsl tr --delete
'[:print:] \n' | wc
      0       0       3

and that file accounts for all problems detected that way:

/cygdrive/c/lmi/src/lmi[0]$<*.xsl tr --delete '[:print:] \n' | wc
      0       0       3

but I'm not sure 'tr' is meant to work with unicode.