lmi

Re: [lmi] Accessing html help while an XRC dialog is active

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] Accessing html help while an XRC dialog is active
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:59:32 +0100

Greg Chicares wrote:
> > It means that the accelerator emits the same event that is send
> > when a menu item is selected and not the event sent when a button
> > is clicked. This turned out to be very easy to fix in wxGTK.
>
> It'd be great if you could also update the documentation, whose
> comments on wxGTK kind of scared me initially.

I thought I did, but I missed the reference in @remarks section.
Fixed, thanks!

> http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_accelerator_table.html
>   wxAcceleratorTable (const wxAcceleratorTable &bitmap)
>
> the parameter name 'bitmap' is probably a cut-and-paste accident.

Fixed too.

> As for 'mvc_controller.cpp', the other file in the patch--in the
> following hunk, I guess you might be using some later version
> than wx-2.8.7, or maybe it's just that I haven't yet applied one
> of your wx patches--but this didn't compile because it found no
> Add() member:

I'm sorry, I was so focused on wxGTK part (where all the problems were
supposed to be) that I completely (and inexcusably) forgot about the
wxMSW part :-( Apparently, Add() is specific to generic
implementation.

> With that 'mvc_controller.cpp' change, however:
>  - the "Help" pushbutton still opens html help
>  - Shift-F1 (and [?]) still pop up contextual help
>  - F1 always opens html help; but see (A) below
>  - but if a modal dialog is active...see (B) below
>
> (A) With msw-xp at least, pressing F1 when the "File | Open"
> dialog is displayed always pops up contextual help, instead of
> opening html help.

I think we can't avoid this because it's the native file open
dialog...

>   - html help appears, but loses focus right away
>   - the lmi dialog "seems to" regain focus (but see below)
>   - contextual help for the "Policy" listbox appears at the
>     mouse position--that is, this defect reemerges:

But this looks like a clear bug to me: if F1 is handled by wx, it
shouldn't be left for MSW to handle too.

> the z-order so that it occults the html help window. I further
> speculate that this occultation might be prevented by suppressing
> the wx help provider that serves up contextual help.

Probably yes, but I'd say the app shouldn't get WM_HELP message at all
in this case.

Vaclav

--
PGP key: 0x465264C9, available from http://pgp.mit.edu/