lmi

Re: [lmi] Re: allocating consecutive ids in XRC (was: UpdateUI problems

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] Re: allocating consecutive ids in XRC (was: UpdateUI problems in main_wx.cpp)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:35:43 +0200

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 15:49 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>  The obvious problem with this approach is that if you now add a
> fourth item to the range you have to rename all the existing ids (this
> doesn't need any changes at the code level, just in the XRC, but is
> still painful).

What about adding support for defining named ID ranges in XRC files?
Something along the lines of:

<ids-range name="edit-cmd" size="10"/>
<object name="main-menu" class="wxMenuBar">
        <object class="wxMenuItem" name="edit-cmd[0]">
            <label>Edit _foo</label>
        </object>
        <object class="wxMenuItem" name="edit-cmd[1]">
            <label>Edit _bar</label>
        </object>
</object>

I dislike the idea of interpreting names like "edit_3_of_3" ("_" is a
common delimiter, it's not immediately obvious it has special meaning
when reading the code) as much as I dislike the need to rename
everything when extending the range.

Regards,
Vaclav