lmi

Re: [lmi] Custom wxArtProvider affects html help toolbar buttons

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] Custom wxArtProvider affects html help toolbar buttons
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 22:15:44 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 12:52 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
>   +if(wxART_HELP_BROWSER == client) {return wxSize(16, 16);}
> doesn't fix the problem with the two buttons.

Apparently, it uses wxART_TOOLBAR for toolbar buttons.

> Both patches have a nice effect: they cause html help to use
> 'help-16.png' as its frame icon, whereas with the unpatched code in
> HEAD html help uses 'lmi.png' as its frame icon.

Was that meant to be 'help.png', or really 'lmi.png'? I don't understand
how could it cause the latter...

Assuming the former, do I understand it correctly that this is perceived
as a problem because scaling is then applied to the icon and it looks
ugly in (MSW) titlebar? If that's the case, then I think the proper fix
would be to

 1. add support for icon sets to wxArtProvider
 2. set help browser's frame icon as a set of icons of several sizes (as
    any well-behaved app should do)
 3. fix the same thing in LMI Unix version (MSW already uses a set; we
    don't even need to extend XRC for this, even though it's something
    nice to have independently of LMI)

> Should I be doing something like the following?
>
>  void Skeleton::UponHelp(wxCommandEvent&)
>  {
> +    wxArtProvider::Push(new SpecialArtProviderForHtmlHelp);
>      help_controller_->DisplayContents();
> +    wxArtProvider::Pop();
>  }

I think it's too much of a hack... I'd rather set LMI's toolbar size
explicitly on MSW (because it's not using what passes for standard win32
size), then would force the icons to the right size without having to
overwrite the size in icons_monger. (I didn't try doing it yet, will
do.)

Vaclav