lmi

Re: [lmi] Re: Input copy ctor

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Re: Input copy ctor
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:44:05 +0000

On 2009-02-26 14:26Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:22:14 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> Please try the ugly idea in my 2009-02-26T14:10Z message first. If

That seems to have "worked" well enough to get us past the immediate
obstacle, so...

> GC> that doesn't "fix" the problem, at least well enough to get us past
> GC> the immediate obstacle, then I guess we'll have to transplant some
> GC> of the "magic" into the copy ctor (and operator=() too).
>
>  The fix is enough for me but I think it would be really better to do it in
> copy ctor and operator=() -- why not? After all, the object is supposed to
> be completely and not just partially copied by these functions.

Why not? Because I fear we'd be patching around a symptom instead of
confronting the underlying problem, which I think lies deeper. Someday
when we're not under so much time pressure I'd like to try explaining
what I was trying to accomplish, and ask you and Vaclav to help out with
a new design that eradicates voodoo like Input::magically_rectify().
But not yet--we're stretched too thin right now.