lmi

Re: [lmi] How can I suppress an error message from wx?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] How can I suppress an error message from wx?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:50:32 +0000

On 2009-03-14 17:58Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:59:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> | Unable to open
> GC> |     file://C:\opt\lmi\data\user_manual.html
> GC> | in default browser.
> GC> |
> GC> | The user...
> GC>
> GC> The '...' ellipsis is copied literally: it doesn't signify any
> GC> abbreviation on my part.
>
>  Very strange. I see this:

[the entire message, untruncated, with no ellipsis]

> GC> | Failed to open URL "C:\opt\lmi\data\user_manual.htmlx" in default
> browser. (error 2: the...
> GC> | Unable to open    file://C:\opt\lmi\data\user_manual.html in default
> browser. The user...
> GC>
> GC> but stretching it further doesn't lengthen the abbreviated text.
>
>  I don't see how is this possible but it seems like the message string
> itself was truncated somewhere before it got to wxLog.

As above, you don't see truncation. For me, both of the "Details" strings
are truncated individually.

> GC> I know I can see the unabbreviated text by clicking "Copy" and pasting
> GC> to an editor, but we cannot ask end users to do that.
>
>  Do you actually see the unabbreviated text if you do this? If my
> hypothesis above is correct you shouldn't.

Indeed I did get a copy of the full, unabbreviated text. In fact,
I pasted it into email to avoid retyping, and then truncated it
manually (in two different ways) to match the screen.

But it's all settled to my satisfaction in 20090314T1731Z lmi HEAD.