lmi

Re: [lmi] help with orphan-control in xsl-fo

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] help with orphan-control in xsl-fo
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:21:31 +0000

On 2009-05-17 15:36Z, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2009-05-17 09:41Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
>> [...] Please apply this patch to fix it:
>
> I'm following this patch, and the others you've proposed, with
> great interest. Lest anyone suppose otherwise, let me explain the
> practical reasons why I'm not yet applying them (or any of my own)
> to lmi HEAD this weekend.
>
> All fo changes need careful testing. And that testing is manual,

...and it has gone less well than we had hoped: partly because of
latent defects that fop-0.95 unmasks, and partly for want of good
testing tools (which I know you plan to address), but also largely
because of new "security" software that slows office machines to a
crawl--about one-third the speed of the box I've got in the other
room, which was obsolete when I bought it five years ago.

For that reason, I'm temporarily going to revert one of your patches
and three of my own, to buy us more testing time. Wendy will commit
these previous patches, and your others, on a branch that we'll merge
back into HEAD when fop-0.95 testing is complete.

In case it makes work on the branch easier, here's how I produced the
changes I'm about to commit:

cvs diff -U3 -D'2009-05-06' fo_common.xsl illustration_reg.xsl
install_miscellanea.make install_msw.sh >/dev/clipboard

# I like to make sure first:
patch --reverse --dry-run </dev/clipboard

patch --reverse </dev/clipboard