lmi

[lmi] newline in C++ variables

From: Wendy Boutin
Subject: [lmi] newline in C++ variables
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:16:08 -0400

I imagine it is possible to embed a new line in the text
of a C++ variable, but I'm having some trouble. I'm trying
to fix a regression error from the last time I made changes
to our output files and need to re-paragraph a few sections
that became one big paragraph. For example, this code
[simplified] from our proprietary 'my_prod.cpp':

static std::string const loan_and_withdrawal_footnote =
  "This is the first paragraph."
  ""
  "This is the second paragraph."
  ;

prints out as one paragraph instead of two separate
paragraphs. I tried this change:

    "This is the first paragraph."
-   ""
+   "\n"
    "This is the second paragraph."

but that had the affect of deleting 'This is the second
paragraph.' altogether instead of putting it on a new line.

The xml file that's fed to 'fop' (this message
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2008-12/msg00006.html
shows how to get that xml file) contains only one
paragraph, so I'm thinking the breakdown in the
pipeline is: C++ --> xml

Instead of '\n', I tried writing '
', which seems
to display exactly '
' at the end of the first
paragraph. A carriage return ('\r') didn't work either.
Greg suggests maybe CDATA would work, but that's getting
beyond his knowledge of xml and its even farther beyond
mine. Is it possible this use case suggests some new
feature for xmlwrapp? Do you have any other suggestions
I could try?