lmi

Re: [lmi] install_msw.sh and third party libraries?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] install_msw.sh and third party libraries?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 01:01:05 +0000

On 2011-06-16 22:41Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> make $coefficiency PATH=$minimal_path install
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `/opt/lmi/third_party/src/cgicc/CgiEnvironment.cpp', needed by
> `CgiEnvironment.o'.
[...]
>  And there is indeed nothing in this directory. Unfortunately I'm not sure
> how is anything supposed to end up there as there doesn't seem to be any
> mention of it in install_msw.sh. And the problem is not only with cgicc
> stuff (that I don't really care about) but with Boost headers

In 'install_msw.sh', this line:
  make $coefficiency -f install_miscellanea.make
should download and install those libraries.

The commonest problem we've had is downloading tarballs, especially from the
often-unreliable sf.net, and that's where boost comes from...but you also
lack cgicc, which we'd get from gnu.org...so this may be a problem we've not
seen before. Still, the first thing to check is /cache_for_lmi/downloads/,
which should contain all the archives listed in 'install_miscellanea.make'
under "File lists".

>  For the record, I'm using, just as before, the instructions in INSTALL
> file literally in a virgin Windows 7 virtual machine.

Those instructions say, in part:
  logfile=log-`date -u +'%Y%m%dT%H%MZ'`; echo "Log file is '$logfile.tar.bz2'."
  ./install_msw.sh >$logfile 2>&1; tar -cjf $logfile.tar.bz2 $logfile
Feel free to send your log-file tarball to my personal account. By comparing
it to logs of successful runs, I should be able to spot the problem quickly.

And, BTW, thanks for testing on msw7. Wendy tried that on a personally-owned
machine a few months ago, and it worked--but every installation is different.
They're planning to switch everyone to msw7 in the office, so we're trying to
get a virgin msw7 machine there, but as Kafka explained [Aphorismen 34]:
  Sein Ermatten ist das des Gladiators nach dem Kampf, seine Arbeit
  war das Weiß tünchen eines Winkels in einer Beamtenstube.