lmi

Re: [lmi] an xml schema for (single|multiple)_cell_document file XML for

From: Václav Slavík
Subject: Re: [lmi] an xml schema for (single|multiple)_cell_document file XML format
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 19:27:03 +0100

Hi,

On 8 Mar 2012, at 19:10, Greg Chicares wrote:
>> GC> For now, only '.cns' and '.ill' files need be covered. Obsolete
>> historical
>> GC> versions needn't be supported; we'd want schema support only for current
>> GC> and future versions.
>>
>> We can try to produce a RELAX NG schema for them to see how it goes.
>> Should we?
>
> Yes, please.

I have some questions about the format:

(1) Are the elements under <cell> optional or required? As far as I can tell,
the reading code is permissive and will use defaults if a value is missing, but
should that be considered a valid file?

(2) Does the order of elements under <cell> matter? (The output is always
alphabetically sorted with current code, reading code doesn't care. It's
marginally simpler to write the grammar if the order matters, but both are
easily possible.)

(3) Are empty class_defaults and particular_cells allowed, or do they have to
contain at least one cell each?

Also, do you want to describe previous versions of the format or just limit
ourselves to the latest version (i.e. what is written by LMI)? (RELAX NG can
easily use different grammars based on the value of the 'version' attribute,
but it wouldn't be translatable into XML Schema and getting the historical data
from SVN would probably be a bit of a pain, so I obviously prefer to stick to
the latest.)

Thanks,
Vaclav