lmi

Re: [lmi] actuarial tables format (was Re: Terse list of valuable projec

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] actuarial tables format (was Re: Terse list of valuable projects)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:30:30 +0000

On 2012-03-22 18:49Z, Václav Slavík wrote:

> On 22 Mar 2012, at 13:05, Václav Slavík wrote:
>> I'll write updated format proposal in another mail later.

[...proposal snipped...]

> If this sounds roughly good,

It does.

> I'll start writing explicit schema for it and conversion code to
> dump used tables in this format. Both of these may trigger some
> changes to the format, so it's the next thing to do.

Yes, please do proceed. Sorry for my delay in replying.

> BTW, speaking of which, would a generally usable tool to convert
> SOA binary tables into our format be useful? I assume we'll need
> at least a one-time-use tool to dump the tables used by LMI, but
> a hacked-together program would suffice for that, while anything
> that would be used more than once should be of higher quality.

A hacked-together program will suffice. It doesn't have to enter
the lmi code repository. We'll use it once, then throw it away.

The SOA has for some time discouraged people from using the old
binary format. It appears that they've removed from their website
all traces of the older version of that binary format that lmi
still uses. They've deprecated their own binary standard, so
there's no point in making a polished convert-from-binary tool.

There's also little point in creating a tool to translate from
their xml format to ours. We still use some tables that we
downloaded from them many years ago, in their binary format;
but we've downloaded new tables from them no more than once
We'd want to fetch new tables from them whenever the standard
tables for "reserve valuation" change, as they did in 1941,
1958, 1980, and 2001...but the actual changeover occurs about
ten years later, so we're probably okay until 2030 or so.