lmi

Re: [lmi] Segfault in lmi with wx-2.9.5

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Segfault in lmi with wx-2.9.5
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 01:06:32 +0200

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 22:52:58 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Removing the width works great for the first four controls.
GC>
GC> For the last six, I really want the statictext-and-spincontrol combination
GC> to expand to the width of the radiobox above. Experimentally, I found that
GC> they do so if I code the width as 20. If I omit the width, then they expand
GC> too much.

 I didn't look at this particular part of the XRC but wouldn't it be
possible to put them in the same sizer as the radio box to ensure that they
have the same width?

 Also, in theory, it would be more logical to set "max size" then, as the
layout would still work if the spin controls need more space than the
radiobox. But right now we don't have any way to set the max size from the
XRC...

GC> >  Of course, ideally wxWidgets would allow you to specify the width of the
GC> > text part of the control only, and do it in characters it contains
(because
GC> > you'd probably like to say "it should be wide enough for 3 digits" and not
GC> > bother with the dialog units) and both of these enhancements had been
GC> > discussed but haven't been implemented so far.
GC>
GC> That would be handy. Here, for instance:
GC>
GC>   <object class="wxComboBox" name="Country">
GC>       <help>Country (ISO 3166-1-Alpha-2 code)</help>
GC>       <size>40,-1</size>
GC>   </object>
GC>
GC> I spent time experimentally determining that forty units is wide enough
GC> to accommodate "MM". It would be nicer to express that as "3 characters"
GC> (potentially of maximum width).

 Yes, this is exactly the kind of field it would be most useful for.
Another common examples are fields for the ZIP code entry or phone numbers.
And we did discuss it at length and, AFAIR, arrived at a nice solution for
the API in http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.wxwidgets.devel/143819/
thread. But it hasn't been implemented yet... If you ever really need this
to be done, please let me know and I'd try to do it, I think it'd be a
useful addition to wx.

 Regards,
VZ