lmi

Re: [lmi] Automated GUI testing

From: Václav Slavík
Subject: Re: [lmi] Automated GUI testing
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:10:06 +0100

Hi,

On 21 Jan 2014, at 19:01, Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
> AIUI, the riskiest issue is changing the build system, so let's
> start there. What sort of changes would be wanted? Would any deep
> changes in the production system be necessary? or is this simply
> a matter of creating an additional target, representing (e.g.)
> the current system with extra automation built in?

We think the best approach would be to move as much GUI code as possible into a
new DLL that would be linked to by both the existing lmi_wx executable and the
new GUI test target (lmi_wx_test?). This way, the tests would test the exact
same code as used in production, which is ideal. If this proves complicated, we
could use a static library instead, but I can’t think of any serious problems a
DLL could cause. In any case, the point is to use the GUI code with as little
changes as possible (and ideally none at all).

> Will we need to incorporate a newer version of wx?

2.9.5, which is currently in use, is definitely too old. My testing-related
changes are all included in wx 3.0 (Vadim, please correct me if I misremember),
so that version should suffice now. However, it is possible (even probable, I
think) that we’ll need to make some more changes to wx itself in the process of
writing the tests.

Regards,
Vaclav