lmi

Re: [lmi] MinGW 3.4.5, stdio formatting functions and multiple definitio

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] MinGW 3.4.5, stdio formatting functions and multiple definitions
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 03:08:10 +0100

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 01:14:11 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> >  So far I've just quickly tested that doing this indeed works, i.e. we can
GC> > omit -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition and everything still links (and runs)
GC> > successfully if we patch boost.regex to use ::sprintf(). Is it worth it to
GC> > prepare a real patch to lmi doing this
GC>
GC> Yes. I suggest
[...suggestion snipped...]

 Yes, this was exactly what I planned to do and I just did it quickly and
it seems to work fine, it's nice how reusable install_miscellanea.make is.
Please find the patch against the latest svn trunk, i.e. r6052, attached.

GC> No, I think working on mpatrol is not a good use of your time.

 FWIW (and taking into account your next message), this option is still
used in mpatrol-mingw-GNUmakefile which seems to be used by
install_mpatrol.make -- but I didn't really look into it, as per above.

 On a related note, I really hope that by the time lmi switches to a modern
g++, MinGW will integrate support for at least address sanitizer, it's a
great tool under Linux and OS X which is almost as useful as Valgrind but
vastly faster to use. And then mpatrol could finally be sent to the dustbin
of (software) history...

VZ