lmi

Re: [lmi] Improved XRC layout

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Improved XRC layout
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 19:14:02 +0000

On 2015-07-16 14:52, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:28:54 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> This hint:
> GC>   <hint>Insured full name</hint>
> GC> seems to have no effect for me.
>
>  I think it must be because you're not using themes: "cue banners", as MSW
> calls them, are only available in the new, themeable controls library but
> not in the classic one.

Never heard of "cue banners". IMO, desktop GUIs reached their height of
perfection around 1990.

> Modern UIs typically tend to have some kind of
> discoverable elements, e.g. those small "(i)" buttons near the controls
> that show the help text in a popup when clicked

Never seen any such thing. Why clutter the screen with lots of little buttons
when you can just tab to a field and press Shift-F1? (I'm just saying.)

> I'll just leave the hints out of the final
> patch, unless you decide to enable themes to check how they look, fall in
> love with them and tell me to use them.

I don't want to leave you lying in a cold doorway waiting for that to happen.
You might love it, but I just can't, and it's better that I tell you plainly:
this barrier is insurmountable--this door is locked. As Sam Chatmon laments
in "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight?":

  Well I come to your house late last night
    knocked up on your door
  I hear a strange voice saying
    get away from there, you can't get in here no more

Come to think of it, this sort of impasse arises so often in software
development--and the blues--and arguably even in literature--that you'd
think the Greeks would have a word for it...