lmi

[lmi] Group premium quotes

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Group premium quotes
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 17:07:38 +0000

First of all, don't read this before September, especially not if you're
on vacation.

Over the next week or two, I'll be committing Vadim's code for group
premium quotes, and tying it into the product database to get all the
required footnotes, some of which haven't been designed yet. Along the
way, I'd like to note some musings here, on changes that for now exist
only in private trees and not in the online repository.

I see a small cosmetic issue when running a large census with sizable
face amounts: the total fields can overflow. Copying and pasting from
the first two total fields yields:
  7$73,383,898.001,4$91,376.55
The first of those two fields should be
   773,383,898 [here, as in the rest of this column, no ".00" is needed]
and its first '7' collides with the '$'. The second would be
    1,491,376.55
and its initial '1' seems to slide into the first column (to its left).

Given that this report's only use case is a narrow, specialized niche,
an expeditious resolution such as widening these two columns by any
convenient means might be good enough. OTOH, I have the impression
(without looking at the code, because that would be cheating) that the
columns widths are calculated based on the header widths (because the
data in the second and fourth totaled columns are identical in this
case, and the fourth is wider); if that's the case, then perhaps it's
just as easy, and better, to take the width of the totals into account.

And the headers seem to need more vertical room. I see:

        |               |              |    Annual
        |    Annual    |    Annual    | Premium with
 Annual | Premium with | Premium with |   Waiver &

where I'd expect another line like

Premium |    Waiver    |      ADB     |     ADB

Guessing that these superficial issues are probably quite easy to fix,
I'll plan to commit the code as is and fix it in September. That's
easier than patching pending patches.