lmi

Re: [lmi] Vanishing menu underlines [Was: Group premium quotes]

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Vanishing menu underlines [Was: Group premium quotes]
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 23:43:29 +0200

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:13:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2015-08-18 20:59, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> [..]
GC> > Many menu items have an "accelerator" letter underlined, e.g., "E_xit" on
the
GC> > "File" menu. Under certain circumstances, the underlines are not shown.
GC>
GC> Sorry, false alarm. Every application I try works exactly this way, so it
must be
GC> an msw "feature".

 Yes, it is. Windows XP designers decided that the underlines were
confusing to normal users, so they hid them by default and only showed them
if the menu was opened from the keyboard (or if/when "Alt" was pressed for
the control mnemonics which behave in the same way) as, apparently, the
sole fact of touching the keyboard immediately makes one a power user.

 FWIW I lost count of the number of (power?) users of wxWidgets who
reported this as a bug in wxMSW...

 Regards,
VZ