lmi

Re: [lmi] Using GitWhatever (was: PR: Check that the run order is the sa

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Using GitWhatever (was: PR: Check that the run order is the same for all cells and the case)
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 15:10:04 +0200

https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/#f-copyright-and-content-ownership
GC> | You shall defend GitHub ... shall indemnify GitHub for any damages ...
GC> | and for reasonable attorney’s fees incurred by, GitHub ... at Your
expense.

 I admit I have never read this before and it does seem quite outlandish.
Even if though I guess their reason for including it is purely defensive
(i.e. they don't want to get sued into the ground because someone uploads
some valuable proprietary source code to their servers) and I've never
heard about this clause being used, it's still quite worrisome to have it
in the first place. I wonder what is the legal definition of "shall defend"
is anyhow...

GC> I just don't see the wisdom in agreeing to that. And their system isn't
GC> even free software:
GC>
GC> | ... You may not duplicate, copy, or reuse any portion of the HTML/CSS,
GC> | Javascript, or visual design elements or concepts
GC>
GC> They support free software...by hosting it on non-free software? Huh?

 I'm much more relaxed about this. If it's only about the "branding", then
it's really not different from Firefox stance and while this did result in
the creation of Iceweasel, it didn't seem to create any problems otherwise.

GC> I am willing to try anything that does not require a github account.

 Only participating requires it, i.e. you can't leave comments on the
reviews without one. Nor push any code. You can definitely pull though.

GC> I already have an account at this most excellent company, which
GC> I'm glad to point people to for lmi support:
GC>   http://www.tt-solutions.com/fr/home/
GC> and am of course willing to 'git pull' from there if you like

 There is already a bare-bone private git server running here, I could just
open it up for the lmi repository if you wish/would prefer it to Github.

GC> (even if it lacks a "nice, coloured and syntax highlighting"
GC> diff viewer; of course, you could simply copy github's, except
GC> that github is not free software).

 I could install GitLab (https://about.gitlab.com/) which is basically
exactly the open source version of GitHub... Please let me know if you
think it would be worth it.

 Regards,
VZ