lmi

Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 03:00:31 +0000

On 2015-10-19 00:14, Greg Chicares wrote:
[...]
> Here's why I ask. The way I view this--and the way the toolbar actually
> works--is that a generic "produce a roster" operation exists, symbolized
> by 'roster*.png', which requires a choice between two roster varieties.
> Thus, to me, 'roster*.png' really belongs with "Census | Print roster"

It occurs to me now that we have already achieved that with "File | New",
which uses a popup menu rather than the "Census | Print roster" command's
cascaded submenu. These being the only two menu commands that have
subordinate menus:
 - would it be better to use the same kind of subordination for both?
 - if so, which kind should we choose?

At this moment, I lean toward making both work the way "File | New" does
already. It's similar to msw-xp "wordpad", except that lmi's popup menu
is cleaner. We've always used the same "File | New" approach; changing
it now would be unwelcome. Using the same approach for rosters would
avoid introducing new GUI elements (a cascading menu and a dropdown
toolbar button).

We could just flatten the roster menu, but I believe we really should
retain the hierarchy. I anticipate adding at least one more roster type.
The "Census" menu has more than enough menuitems already, so flattening
the hierarchy to make each roster type a menu item doesn't appeal to me;
besides, if we do that, we should have another icon, and I don't want to
create another icon. Similarly, the "File" menu would become too long if
we flattened "File | New".

BTW, provided we don't change "File | New", it seems to me that it
should acquire an ellipsis.