lmi

[lmi] Replace XSL with wxPdfDocument?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Replace XSL with wxPdfDocument?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 19:51:46 +0000

Our experimental use of wxPdfDocument for group quotes seems to have
been a great success. I think I spent plenty of time myself working
in the code that generates PDFs, and I don't remember anything PDFish
about it, so I went back and examined it again...and it really is
transparent. It looks like the way we used to draw things on the
screen in msw-1.0 thirty years ago--picking brushes and drawing into
device contexts. I couldn't have written the group-quote code myself,
but I can maintain it easily--it all seems so clear as to be obvious.

Most of our PDFs are created with XSL-FO, which is, in comparison, is
incomprehensible. Can we translate all that old XSL-FO junk to clean
wxPdfDocument code? If it makes sense to attack the xsl templates
one at a time, we'd rather tackle 'illustration_reg.xsl' first.