lmi

Re: [lmi] Compiling takes longer with gcc-4.9.2

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Compiling takes longer with gcc-4.9.2
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:55:14 +0000

On 2015-12-30 14:46, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 05:48:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

[...cross-compile lmi on GNU/Linux for msw...]

>  Actually I have a question about _how_ will it work exactly: the simplest
> way is definitely to just use autoconf, but it doesn't have all the
> non-standard make targets such as check_physical_closure, so I would
> presumably have to add them to Makefile.am too? Alternatively, I could try
> to make the lmi build system work from Linux which should be possible too,
> in principle, and I guess you'd prefer to use it?

I suggest we stick to our accustomed procedure:
 - you maintain autotools
 - I maintain lmi's makefile system
which has worked well. As an initial step, could I ask you just to
cross-compile lmi on a GNU/Linux machine using autotools, and say
how fast it is for some simple scenario like '-O2 -std=c++11'?

I ask because this is terra incognita for me, and if anything at all
goes wrong, fixing it might be easy for you but very difficult for me.
(I just spent a full day getting samba to work on a new machine that
temporarily has centos-7, and that's probably easy too if you know
what you're doing. I still can't explain why I'm getting
  Unexpected error: Success
from some GNOME tool (which fails despite "Success"), but I can make
it work from the command line.)

>  The other question is about comparing the results. I'm running the (MSW)
> VM on a MSW host as well and I can't meaningfully compare its performance
> with that of the cross-compiler on a different physical machine. So I need
> to actually set up the VM on the Linux machine first, and then test
> cross-compiling -- and this is what I am doing right now.

If you can give me a few lines of commands that I can cut and paste
in order to build lmi for msw on a GNU/Linux host, then I can test
that on a couple of machines. Commands for debian are good enough;
BTW, which debian version are you using these days?