lmi

[lmi] Messages on stderr from building wx

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Messages on stderr from building wx
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 01:27:31 +0000

I just happened to redirect stdout to /dev/null while building wx with a
hacked version of lmi's makefile, so I thought I'd report the messages here.
There are no actual problems; I'm just curious about a few things.

/home/greg/src/lmi[0]$time make $coefficiency -f install_wx.make >/dev/null
/bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to samples
make[1]: [clean] Error 2 (ignored)
/bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to samples
make[1]: [distclean] Error 2 (ignored)
make: [all] Error 1 (ignored)

That's from the clean targets; it may not be worth doing anything to
suppress such messages.

configure: WARNING: type_traits: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
preprocessor!
configure: WARNING: type_traits: proceeding with the compiler's result

There's that weirdness again.

configure: WARNING: Defaulting to the builtin regex library for Unicode build.
configure: WARNING: zlib library not found or too old, will use built-in instead
configure: WARNING: system png library not found or too old, will use built-in
instead
configure: WARNING: system expat library not found, will use built-in instead

Here, the only thing I think remarkable is that MinGW-w64 provides zlib,
and it's...too old? But...
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2016-01/msg00026.html
  "MinGW-w64 4.9.1 comes with zlib 1.2.8"
and that's the current release according to
  http://www.zlib.net/
Or is it not found because it's in some compiler subdirectory instead
of a canonical location?

configure: WARNING: Assuming Unix98 printf() is not available,
define HAVE_UNIX98_PRINTF as 1 in setup.h if it is available.

I guess this means extensions like the '$' here:
  printf("%2$*1$d", width, num);
that are SUSv2 but not C99.

configure: WARNING: Catching fatal exceptions not currently supported on this
system, wxApp::OnFatalException will not be called

No SEH; that's understood.

config.status: WARNING:  '../../../src/expat/Makefile.in' seems to ignore the
--datarootdir setting

I don't recall seeing that warning in prior years.

make $coefficiency -f install_wx.make > /dev/null  1778.10s user 163.29s system
660% cpu 4:54.09 total
/home/greg/src/lmi[0]$echo $coefficiency
--jobs=8
/home/greg/src/lmi[0]$uname -a
Linux debian8b 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u3 (2016-01-17)
x86_64 GNU/Linux

BTW: less than five minutes, in a VM with only eight cores.