lmi

Re: [lmi] Cross-compiling lmi from Linux to MSW

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Cross-compiling lmi from Linux to MSW
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:20:30 +0100

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:11:18 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-01-22 15:20, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 14:48:48 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...run a debian-stable cross compiler on a debian-oldstable system...]
GC> > GC> Would you recommend any particular way to do that?
GC> >
GC> >  Yes: install Jessie in a chroot and install the cross-compiler there.
This
GC> > is not as simple just upgrading to Jessie (which would be definitely my
GC> > preferred way of solving the problem), but it won't touch anything on your
GC> > main system and won't have any overhead (other than a few dozen of
GC> > megabytes taken by the chrooted system). Please let me know if I should go
GC> > into the details of creating a chroot under Debian but at a first glance I
GC> > think https://wiki.debian.org/chroot explains it well.
GC>
GC> Do you find schroot (with initial 's') advantageous, or should I
GC> not bother trying to learn it?

 I haven't used it, but maybe I should. What I do is just ssh into
localhost as a special user (e.g. zeitlin_sid-amd64) which is restricted to
the given chroot via /etc/security/chroot.conf. This works for me because
my workflow is often based on ssh'ing into another machine anyhow and I
handle this chroot as just another Linux box, even if it actually happens
to live on the same one. But maybe schroot is a simpler way of doing the
same thing...

 Regards,
VZ