lmi

Re: [lmi] Group quotes, part deux

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group quotes, part deux
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 14:29:02 +0000

On 2016-05-13 13:21, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:31:26 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> There's one change that I need to make: the spouse rider amount shown in
> GC> a footnote is the case total, but the individual amount is wanted instead.
>
>  I am not sure I understand this correctly (how can an individual amount be
> shown for a footnote which is unique and common to all individuals? i.e.

Via a kludge.

If we were writing a group-quote system, we might calculate, say, an average
spouse-rider amount in the ledger classes. But that's not what we're doing:
instead, we're coercing an illustration system to produce group quotes
without allowing any changes that would pollute the illustration system.
That explains why some totals are calculated by the ledger classes, while
others (for columns specific to group quotes) are calculated on the fly.

> what should be shown if two or more individual amounts differ?),

assert_okay_to_run_group_quote() asserts that they cannot differ.

> but this
> is probably not important anyhow as you seem to be saying that you're going
> to change this yourself.

Yes. Done.

[...snip some formatting ideas that are easy to do, if desired...]

> GC> - If any of the six dollar-amount columns are hidden, the space they
> GC> would have occupied seems to be reallocated to the "Participant" column.
> GC> We might prefer to allocate some of this space to the dollar-amount
> GC> columns.
>
>  This one is slightly less so.

I see that now, so I'll argue against it.