lmi

Re: [lmi] Migration to git

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Migration to git
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 22:26:30 +0000

On 2016-05-22 20:45, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2016 18:10:58 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lmi.git
[...]
> GC>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lmi.git;a=summary
>
>  I have no idea why does Savannah provide both cgit and gitweb when they
> are so similar, but I guess more choice is always good...

Is there a third and simpler way? My practical reason for asking is
that I seek the most robust way to refer the casual reader to the
latest version of a file. For example, 'multiple_cell_document.rnc'
has comments instructing outside vendors to obtain this file:
  http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/lmi/trunk/sample.cns?root=lmi
They aren't interested in lmi in general, probably don't know any
free VCS, and don't want our whole source tree--they just need that
file. It's better to give them a URL (which always points to HEAD)
than to email them a copy (which inevitably becomes stale). However,
viewvc often fails on gnu.org, while this:
  http://svn.sv.nongnu.org/svn/lmi/lmi/trunk/sample.cns
is fast and robust.

Now, of course, I need to update that reference to point to git,
and I'm not sure whether gitweb or cgit might suffer the same
outages I've frequently observed with viewvc. The "direct browsing"
link here seems promising:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/
but it leads to this:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/lmi.git/
which seems to show only the lmi/.git/ subdirectory.