lmi

Re: [lmi] Do we have zlib already?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Do we have zlib already?
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:29:43 +0000

On 2016-06-09 21:55, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  Hmm, you'll know better, of course, but replacing real encryption with
> compression doesn't look like a step in the right direction to me.

Well, there are:

- "trade secrets" expressed in the xml, which are also publicly disclosed
in the marketing material. If we say "Premium load is 3%" in a sales
brochure, and
  <PremiumLoad>0.03</PremiumLoad>
in an XML file, there's little need to encrypt the XML. And then there are:

- "secret trade secrets" contained in the mortality-table database. Having
written a coder-decoder for those binary '.dat' files recently, you'd
probably agree that it would take considerable effort for anyone to read
them, even though the specification is available. Yet insurance companies
would generally give the tables to any broker upon request.

And anyone who understands life insurance illustrations can reverse-engineer
them anyway, given only a paper printout, so it's impossible in principle
to protect product parameters from discovery. We just want to make it
non-trivial.