lmi

Re: [lmi] help with orphan-control in xsl-fo

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] help with orphan-control in xsl-fo
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 23:45:02 +0200

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 21:24:12 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> >  But luckily xsltwrapp is already flexible enough to let us do it
ourselves
GC> > and with the following patch:
GC>
GC> Yes, thanks, but--back to the Goldilocks analysis--I'd rather that
GC> end users see half of one error message than some potentially
GC> unlimited number.

 Is this really so? I don't think there is anything particularly bad with
trying to display a thousand lines of errors, the output will obviously get
truncated in the message box, but it's not a fatal problem, especially
compared to the alternative of simply dropping half of the error message on
the floor. This seems very wrong to me, IME as a user, one of the worst
things a program can do (only just behind eating my data) is to show the
notorious "An error occurred" message box without providing more details.
Surely it's worth doing something to ensure we provide all the information
about the error that we have here?

 If you're really worried about the too many errors case (again, I'm not
convinced there is really anything to worry about), we can truncate the
error message to the first N (20?) lines, even if it would add a few more
lines of code.

GC> And I'd rather write one easy-to-read line:
GC>
GC> > -        os << z.apply(d.document());
GC>
GC> than many:

 I'm all for keeping the correct code as brief as possible, but the first
requirement is correctness and IMO the current code doesn't satisfy it.

 Regards,
VZ