lmi

Re: [lmi] Unexpected character in file history

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Unexpected character in file history
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 00:04:25 +0000

[I have little to add (at the bottom), but the entire original message
is relevant context, so I haven't trimmed it.]

On 2016-06-15 21:16, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2016-06-15 18:46, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> [...it's actually 'LEFT-TO-RIGHT EMBEDDING' (U+202A)...]
>
>>  Here is one possible fix, disabling this character under XP entirely:
> [...]
>> +    if ( wxCheckOsVersion(6 /* Vista */) )
>
> However...
>
>> GC> However, would it even be appropriate to change wx trunk for this?
>> GC> Perhaps commit/e5e92c9... really was a useful improvement for msw-xp
>> GC> users of right-to-left alphabets.
>>
>>  Yes, it fixes a real problem when using Hebrew version of MSW.
>
> Right-to-left msw-xp users probably outnumber me, and the benefit
> to them probably exceeds the trifling inconvenience for me, so
> restricting this to msw >= vista would make wx worse.
>
>> GC> And perhaps the reason why this happens--on my machine only--is that
>> GC> I'm running in a VM with a paravirtual graphics driver.
>>
>>  I don't think so. My last hope is that you might be running a different
>> and earlier XP version than me: do you have XP SP3
>
> Yes, indubitably: the CDs clearly say service pack three, so
> there's no way I could downgrade to anything earlier. Thus...
>
>> GC> You can't reproduce it, our end users won't see it, and it's not an
>> GC> actual problem for me, so maybe we should just drop it.
>>
>>  I will if the guess above is not correct.
>
> Agreed.

I see the same thing using 'wine' to run a cross-compiled lmi (no binaries
or libraries were copied from msw). I still don't think it's worth fixing,
because no one else runs lmi via 'wine'; but I thought this was interesting
enough to share.

(This is in a plain "jessie" chroot, and its 'wine' is whatever I got by
running
  dpkg --add-architecture i386
  apt-get wine
eight days ago. I have downloaded no other packages since then, and
specifically no extra 'wine' packages. The only customization I've made
via 'winecfg' is raising DPI to 192.)