lmi

Re: [lmi] Anonymous git checkout failure

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Anonymous git checkout failure
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:17:19 +0000

On 2016-11-23 17:07, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:18:04 +0000 "Murphy, Kimberly" <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> MK> From my browser, I can 'Open' or 'Save' the refs from
> MK> git.savannah.nongnu.org.
>
>  I think the most likely explanation is that your browser is configured
> (perhaps automatically, i.e. by group policy or whatever) to use the
> company proxy, which works, but git doesn't use it -- and so it doesn't.
>
>  To verify if this is the case and hopefully fix the problem, you need to
> find which HTTP proxy is being used. Apparently there are several ways in
> which it can be configured, but hopefully you will find a way that works
> for you among the answers to http://superuser.com/q/346372/60311

I tried that on my corporate laptop, for which I couldn't detect any proxy,
presumably because it connects to the company intranet through a VPN. But
that gave me a silly idea: might Kim's desktop in the office be able to
connect through a VPN rather than directly? If the VPN substitutes for the
proxy, that might work; but if it's just an extra layer that obscures an
underlying proxy that's still in place, then it won't work. Unfortunately,
I can't test this because my company laptop is so underprivileged that it
can't even access lmi.nongnu.org, and I can't even open a "command prompt"
so I can't install git there.