lmi

Re: [lmi] Remarkable performance problem

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Remarkable performance problem
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:15:48 +0100

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 01:54:15 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Vadim--Do you have any idea what I might try next?

 Assuming that the problem is Wine-specific, which seems reasonable, I
would try setting WINEDEBUG=warn+all and checking if you see any warnings
that look like they might be related. If there are too many messages (or,
on the contrary, if there are no warnings), you might want to replace "all"
with individual channels, such as "heap" or "seh" (or remove "warn"); see
https://wiki.winehq.org/Debug_Channels for more information about this.

 Also, running perf under Linux is always worthwhile -- and very simple to
do, so I'd also do this and see if you notice anything unusual in its
output. You could run just the Wine process itself under it or even run it
system-wide, if your system is reasonably idle, Wine should dominate all
the statistics anyhow.

GC> Today Kim sent me a census file that runs quickly enough for her, but
GC> shockingly slowly for me. (We can't share it because it contains
GC> personal information.)

 Other than it's extremely difficult for me to say anything without being
able to reproduce the problem myself. Would it be possible to scrub
personal information from this census somehow and share it with me?

 Thanks,
VZ