lmi

Re: [lmi] Remarkable performance problem

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Remarkable performance problem
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 16:18:42 +0100

---------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<-------
GC> diff --git a/multiple_cell_document.cpp b/multiple_cell_document.cpp
GC> index a15421470..b543ae7fd 100644
GC> --- a/multiple_cell_document.cpp
GC> +++ b/multiple_cell_document.cpp
GC> @@ -427,7 +427,7 @@ void multiple_cell_document::validate_with_xsd_schema
GC>  {
GC>      xml::schema const
schema(xml_lmi::dom_parser(AddDataDir(xsd)).document());
GC>      xml::error_messages errors;
GC> -    if(!schema.validate(cell_sorter().apply(xml), errors))
GC> +    if(!schema.validate(xml, errors))
GC>          {
GC>          warning()
GC>              << "Validation with schema '"

--------->8-------->8-------->8-------->8-------->8-------->8-------->8-------

 So how long does the call to cell_sorter().apply() take?

GC> But this workaround is no solution. The XSD schema, IIRC, requires that
GC> <cell> subelements be sorted, and fails if they are not.

 We shouldn't be sorting cells if it needs to be done just for the
validation to pass, should we? I.e. is there any real need for them to be
sorted and, if so, what is it? I guess that sorting relatively big files is
not going to be very fast in any case, so if we could avoid it, it would
seem to be much better to do it.

GC> Anyway, the experimental patch above narrows our search for the ultimate
GC> cause of the gravest problem, namely, gross GUI unresponsiveness. It does
GC> not affect the less grave secondary problem, namely, that running a case
GC> becomes prog res siv el y  s  l  o   w   e      r, but that's certainly
GC> an entirely different issue.

 Yes, this is my feeling as well, but I really need to find a way to get
some useful profiling information from Wine (i.e. answer your next email)
to confirm this. I'll try to do it a.s.a.p.

VZ