lmi

Re: [lmi] VCS caching

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] VCS caching
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:01:17 +0200

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 12:46:59 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2018-04-11 10:46, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
GC> > I.e. what's the advantage of having a wx repository in
GC> > /srv/cache_for_lmi/vcs and then a clone in /opt/lmi/local/vcs rather
GC> > than having only the latter?
GC>
GC> I want the former, not the latter. Everything that can be cached,
GC> should be cached in the cache directory.

 The simplest would be to just have the former then. I.e. just change
install_wx.sh to use the former path for the repository and that's (almost)
all.

GC> > doesn't seem useful to have more than one repository on the same machine,
GC> > what do we gain from it?
GC>
GC> The clone in /opt/lmi/local/vcs becomes superfluous. Maybe we can
GC> eliminate it altogether, and build in /opt/lmi/local/wx-scratch .

 Yes, exactly.

GC> I know so little about git, and there are many options to experiment
GC> with. Of course, if you already know the best way to achieve the
GC> goal I'm trying to express, that spoiler would be welcome.

 I'm afraid I don't even see the problem, so I'm not sure if I can provide
the solution, but if the idea of using /srv/cache_for_lmi/vcs/wxWidgets
(and xxx.git alongside it for the submodules) and building in some other
directory (/opt/lmi/local/wx-scratch or wherever, it really doesn't matter)
is acceptable, then this is certainly what we should do.

 I don't know if I should make a patch for this as the changes seem so
trivial, but please let me know if I should.

 Thanks,
VZ