lmi

Re: [lmi] Return of the secret decoder ring

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Return of the secret decoder ring
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 00:17:15 +0100

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 22:56:20 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> It's handy to modify data files in (by default) /opt/lmi/data
GC> experimentally during an lmi session. MST->XST obfuscation
GC> has made that less convenient.

 Yes, I've already run into this too. I was thinking of writing a Vim
autocommand to decode the .xst files on load and encoding them back on save
but haven't got round to doing it just yet.

GC> To restore convenience, I'll soon push a 'gwc/invert.sh' script that
GC> does this:
[...]

 I wonder if we this is really much more convenient though. I thought to
propose accepting both encoded and non-encoded files (perhaps we could use
the presence of "{{!" in the beginning of the file for the check whether
the file is encoded?) which would allow editing files directly in the data
directory. I didn't do it because I didn't want to bother you with
non-essential questions, but as you raise this topic yourself anyhow, what
do you think of doing this instead?

 Alternatively, we could check for the presence of both .mst and .xst files
and accept the former if it exists.

 As usual, I can make the necessary changes if you'd like.

 Regards,
VZ